From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: EAPI usage
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 00:17:29
1 On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 03:49:43PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 23:58:00 +0000 (UTC)
3 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 > > Of course an individual PM could choose to keep support for as long
5 > > as they want, but unless I'm missing something, that'd let PMs drop
6 > > support for old EAPIs if desired, with at least a reasonably sane
7 > > upgrade path for both PM devs and users.
8 >
9 > It's irrelevant: the amount of package mangler code to be saved by
10 > removing old EAPIs is so small it's not worth discussing. Most EAPI
11 > changes so far have either been additions or very simple behaviour
12 > tweaks, not removals of annoying things.
13
14 Just seconding this statement; no PM author has stated "maintaining
15 EAPIs is an undue burden"- it's come everytime from folks who don't
16 /actually do any PM code/.
17
18 So please stop telling us what is, and isn't a burden in our code. :)
21 > There are things we might change in future EAPIs that will in the very
22 > long term make this discussion worthwhile. If we get rid of VDB access
23 > or unconstrained env saving, *then* it might be worth having this
24 > discussion.
25
26 Realistically even then, that's just swivelling vars/functions exposed
27 to the ebuild env- it would require the vast majority of ebuilds
28 migrating to EAPI versions that hide VDB access for this to be worth
29 discussing (else due to backwards compat, it's a pointless
30 discussion).
33 Either way, there's no reason to require devs use the latest EAPI;
34 they migrate at their own pace as they need to, which is fine. Case
35 in point, check gentoo-x86 eapi usage:
36
37 repository '/var/db/repos/gentoo':
38 eapi: '4' 13523 pkgs found, 42.58% of the repository
39 eapi: '0' 8171 pkgs found, 25.73% of the repository
40 eapi: '2' 5246 pkgs found, 16.52% of the repository
41 eapi: '3' 4297 pkgs found, 13.53% of the repository
42 eapi: '1' 520 pkgs found, 1.64% of the repository
43
44 0 is still in heavy usage since a lot of ebuilds don't need the newer
45 EAPI functionality; 1 is mostly dead since the only gain of it (in
46 comparison to 0) was slot deps, 2 had used use deps thus those same
47 folk migrated to 2 (since if you need slot deps, it's semi likely you
48 need use deps).
49
50 As for 3... that was prefix and xz support. No reason to use it in
51 comparison to 4 frankly.
52
53 Personally, I don't have any problems if gentoo were to mandate that
54 EAPI1 shouldn't be used for new ebuilds in gentoo-x86, eapi2 instead.
55 That sort of standard would make sense.
56
57 ~harring