From: Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: disallowing multiple votes per person in council meetings
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 22:06:47
1 On Thu, Dec 15, 2005 at 08:20:36PM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > Possible proposal: the current council meeting rules be updated with
3 > one of the following two clauses:
4 >
5 > > A proxy must not be an existing council member, and any single person
6 > > may not be a proxy for more than one person at any given meeting.
7 >
8 > (The difference being, the former allows a council member to appoint
9 > another council member as their proxy, so long as said member forfeits
10 > their own role.)
11
12 I think the latter makes more sense - only allowing non-council
13 members to represent absent council members. That is how it works in
14 the boards I have been involved with.
15
16 > * It will lead to increased discussion, which in turn means the council
17 > is more likely to notice any problems with items on the agenda.
18 >
19 > * It will avoid having council meetings made up of two or three council
20 > members, all acting as proxies for other members.
21
22 More eyes on the matter is a good thing. If we allow council members
23 to proxy for other council members we might end up with quite a few
24 eyes on the discussion...
25
26 > * This fits in better with the way I was intending proxies to work when
27 > I wrote the slacker boot proposal, rather than the way they've ended up
28 > working due to insufficient pedantry in the original description :)
29
30 Sounds good to me.
31
32 > Arguable disadvantage:
33 >
34 > * It makes it harder for council members to all go "oops, can't make
35 > it, so vapier is my proxy" at the last minute.
36
37 Yeah, well - I think we can live with that. How many times has the
38 proxy function been used so far?
39
40 > On the same subject, I'd also like to see the "meeting participants"
41 > table updated to explicitly list proxies, for example in the form
42 > "jaervosz (for koon)".
43
44 Yes, that would be natural.
45
46 ./Brix
47 --
48 Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>
49 Gentoo Metadistribution | Mobile computing herd