From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: QA issue: No stable skype in Tree
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 22:52:43
1 Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
2 >> It is neither a QA nor license issue, its an issue of the download being
3 >> unavailable. Please read the full thread.
4 > And to reply to myself - its a licensing issue since we cannot mirror
5 > the distfile.
6 Er thanks for that ;)
7
8 > However, I hardly find that "facist" - my own opinion,
9 > others vary of course - the main issue is simply that the download won't
10 > be available - if you even throw out the licensing issue of not
11 > mirroring, have you tried to install 2006.0 lately? (Yes, I know 2007.0
12 > is out) - you can't even do a 2006.0 install if you use the portage and
13 > stage3 tarballs from the cd because those distfiles are no longer
14 > available.
15
16 Sorry while your opinion on the license seems relevant, the rest seems not
17 so to me. If you want to get into the whole discussion about keeping old
18 ebuilds, the forums have been after that for ages. The standard reply is
19 download them from cvs, which isn't hard if you need 'em for enterprise
20 (the installed ones are kept in vdb in any case.) I don't see why Gentoo
21 should be supporting old *install media* as opposed to the tree of software
22 which people should have updated to.
26 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list