From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Splitting desktop profile to KDE and GNOME
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 17:59:07
1 On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 06:43:52PM +0100, Thomas Sachau wrote:
2 > William Hubbs schrieb:
3 > > On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 12:07:08PM -0400, Richard Freeman wrote:
4 > >> R??mi Cardona wrote:
5 > >>> Le 26/10/2009 22:58, Richard Freeman a ??crit :
6 > >>>> Gentoo is about choice.
7 > >>> No it isn't. Gentoo is about empowering users, giving them the ability
8 > >>> and tools to _change_ the distro to _their_ needs.
9 > >>>
10 > >>> Gentoo does _not_ cater to all the possible needs.
11 > >>>
12 > >>> This is somewhat off-topic, but it irks me every time I see/hear it, so
13 > >>> there.
14 > >> Well, I'm not sure I see any contradiction. When people say that gentoo
15 > >> is about choice, it means that we should give the end-user flexibility
16 > >> whenever it is feasible. Of course that doesn't mean that there should
17 > >> be a lunar-lander-in-a-box use flag. However, if KDE 4.2 includes a
18 > >> lunar lander module we should in fact add such a flag for the benefit of
19 > >> those of us who don't own space programs.
20 > >
21 > > Agreed. However, I think the discussion is around whether we should enable
22 > > the lunar-lander-in-a-box use flag by default and where it should be
23 > > enabled by us if we do enable it.
24 > >
25 > > Since profiles override IUSE defaults, if we enable the flag in the
26 > > profiles, this means that it will be enabled for all packages that have
27 > > the use flag, regardless of whether they are KDE related, unless the
28 > > user disables the flag in make.conf or package.use.
29 > >
30 > > On the other hand, if we enable it with IUSE defaults at the
31 > > package level, it lets the user decide whether or not they want it to be
32 > > enabled for their entire system by editing make.conf.
33 >
34 > Are you sure about this part? Afaik IUSE defaults overrides make.conf, you will have to explicitly
35 > add an entry to package.use for every package, where it is enabled per IUSE default.
36
37 I just tested this, and make.conf overrides iuse defaults. To verify
38 this for yourself, pick a package with an iuse default turning on a
39 flag, then turn off the flag in make.conf and check what would happen if
40 you emerged the package.
41
42 package.use overrides for a single package, but make.conf overrides for
43 all of your system.
46 William Hubbs
47 gentoo accessibility team lead
48 williamh@g.o