From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Use GLEP27!
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:56:46
1 >>>>> On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2
3 > a flat text file akin to /etc/passwd is not readable. xml is readable.
4
5 ESR's case study about the password file format seems to disagree:
6 http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/taoup/html/ch05s01.html#id2901332
7
8 I think the name:password:uid:gid:gecos:directory:shell format is
9 readable well enough for human eyes. Certainly it is machine readable;
10 even with standard tools like fgetpwent(3) (or its equivalent in other
11 programming languages).
12
13 > a markdown like format would work -- easy to parse by machines & humans
14 > and is a single stackable file.
15
16 Reinventing the wheel?
17
18 > user:ntp
19 > <whitespace>uid:203
20 > <whitespace>gid:203
21 > user:man
22 > <whitespace>uid:13
23 > <whitespace>gid:13
24 > (using : as delimiter since that's what *NIX uses in /etc/passwd)
25
26 > the main one would grow probably to about 2000+ lines (~400 users in
27 > the tree and each entry takes ~4 lines assuming we enforce eliding
28 > of defaults) which isn't that terrible.
29
30 To me this looks like a lot of added redundancy for little (if any)
31 benefit.
32
33 Ulrich