From: Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Gentoo Bugday
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:30:49
1 Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > > > We could create a new repo at our Github and start developing.
3 > >
4 > > Don't start developing, plz work on bugs instead.
5 >
6 > Then who will develop useful tools to handle bugs more efficiently?
7
8 Don't get me wrong: I am not hating on useful tools!
9
10 I am saying that working on tools is orthogonal to working on open bugs.
13 > his sole two bugs
14
15 Is there a rule in Gentoo that forbids a dev to fix a bug assigned to
16 someone else? That would make absolutely no sense to me.
17
18 No wonder then, that there are several bugs with no activity for
19 months after I have committed fixed ebuilds to my overlay and
20 mentioned that in a comment.
21
22 He has become a developer so why would he not be able to take
23 neccessary action to close bugs, even if they haven't been assigned
24 to him?
25
26 - But Peter, you say, don't you see - that would lead to more fixed bugs!
27
28 Orly? How is that bad?
31 (I'm obviously assuming that all developers (but not infra) are
32 equally competent, since that's the model taught by recruitment.)
35 > short term
36 ..
37 > long term
38
39 Yes, life is tradeoff. In my experience development of tools is
40 rather a long term thing, while a day of working on bugs is more
41 short term. A day short, to be exact. :)
42
43 If there are numerous unactionable bugs then perhaps skip them on
44 that day, and work on shiny bulk processing tools the next day.
47 Just my 2. But never mind. I guess I'm not supposed to participate
48 in the bugday anyway. Good for me! :)
51 //Peter