From: Chris Reffett <creffett@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: qa@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] January 2014 QA Policy Updates
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 21:32:52
1 On 01/30/2014 03:10 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 12:47:01AM -0500, Chris Reffett wrote:
4 >> Hash: SHA1
5 >>
6 >> Hello all,
7 >> The new QA team has completed its first meeting, and so I would like
8 >> to announce policy changes agreed upon during the meeting which are
9 >> relevant to the developer community. In the future, when a meeting
10 >> results in changed or amended policy, we will notify the community via
11 >> - -dev and -dev-announce, so there will probably be a summary email like
12 >> this coming out about once a month. Changes to policy from this meeting:
13 >>
14 >> - -USE-controlled optional RDEPENDs policy clarified to say that those
15 >> dependencies are not allowed, but QA will grant exceptions for certain
16 >> circumstances (such as a package not working unless one of a set of
17 >> optional deps is installed)
18 >>
19 >> - -The QA team policymaking workflow will look like the following:
20 >> * User/dev/team member brings us an issue
21 >> * Team investigates
22 >> * Team discusses at the next meeting
23 >> ** If the person is violating policy, we inform them of that and
24 >> request that they stop violating policy
25 >> ** If the existing policy is unclear, we update it
26 >> ** If there is no existing policy, make one
27 >> If we think a developer's actions are causing problems, we may ask
28 >> them to stop/undo pending discussion by the QA team at the next meeting.
29 >>
30 >> - -Rules for the QA team editing peoples' packages:
31 >> *For trivial fixes, such as repoman errors, we fix the issue and send
32 >> the developer a friendly reminder
33 >> *For large but non-critical fixes, we open a bug, wait 2 weeks, and if
34 >> it is not fixed within that time frame we make the change.
35 >> *For critical fixes, such as a problem that breaks the tree or a
36 >> package, we fix the issue and send the developer a notice about our change
37 >>
38 >> - -The QA team will communicate changes to policy via emails to
39 >> gentoo-dev and gentoo-dev-announce and by updating the QA policy page
40 >> on the Gentoo Wiki.
41 >>
42 >> For anyone interested, the summary of the meeting can be found at
43 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Meeting_Summaries
44 >> and the current set of QA policies can be found at
45 >> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Quality_Assurance/Policies. If
46 >> you have any questions or concerns about these policies, feel free to
47 >> discuss them with us in #gentoo-qa or by emailing qa@g.o.
48 >
49 > I have one.
50 >
51 > The way I read that email, we are saying that our only policies are on
52 > the wiki.
53 >
54 > Is that right, or is the DevManual stil relevant?
55 >
56 > If it is, I would suggest that on the wiki we make it clear that our
57 > technical policies are all in the devmanual. Along that line, I would
58 > suggest moving the stabilization policy to the devmanual. I'll look for
59 > a place for a patch.
60 >
61 > William
64 That's my mistake, the devmanual is still relevant. My idea is to use
65 the wiki page for smaller or more specific items which probably don't go
66 in the devmanual (for example, policy which is about specific packages
67 or USE flags, or policies which just affect the QA team). Stabilization
68 should go to the devmanual, then.
69
70 Chris Reffett