From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Why no updates on delay of 2008.0 release
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 13:00:09
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Richard Freeman wrote:
5 |>> ... I don't think there is any excuse not to update the published
6 |>> release schedule,...
7 |
8 | <snip>
9 |
10 |> the update is simple: the untimely and quite unexpected surgical
11 |> "complication" resulting in the death of my mother has set back a
12 |> number of schedules,
13 |
14 | Lesson: Ask nicely before going into attack mode. Don't assume the
15 | worst. Consequently, avoid putting foot in mouth...
16
17 I did ask nicely. In the #gentoo-releng IRC channel. No action was taken, and
18 coming across users every day who are wondering what is going on, is simply said
19 frustrating. And you misunderstand, I'm not assuming the worst, I just was
20 making my point forcefully, in order to communicate both the frustration of
21 users left in the dark and of devs dealing with these users, as well as the need
22 for action. It is not an attack, but a serious point of concern, that I strongly
23 feel we need to take action about.
24
25 I fully and wholeheartedly sympathize with musikc and wolf31o2. My condolences.
26 You guys should deal with your family situation, that speaks for itself. Please
27 don't misunderstand my OP as an attack. It wasn't directed at you at all.
28
29 All I want, all most users want, is an announcement by somebody else from the
30 releng team about the delay.
33 | Try to remember that this is a volunteer-driven effort. If you want it
34 | to stay vibrant we need to try to be nice to each other. There have
35 | been many occasions where I've needed something from a gentoo dev - if
36 | you ask nicely there is a good chance you'll get it, and if you
37 | volunteer to help out in some way there is an even better chance.
38
39 I completely understand we are all volunteers. You don't hear me saying "we have
40 to keep to the release schedule no matter what". I understand that there are
41 reasons for the delay (and in this case extremely serious reasons). You don't
42 hear me complain about that.
43
44 I went to the #gentoo-releng channel and suggested nicely that an announcement
45 about the delay would be much appreciated. I also offered my help if there was
46 anything I can do. I was told there isn't anything I can do, and that's fair
47 enough. I just wanted to make my point that I'm willing to help, not just
48 "complaining".
51 | Sure, maybe some things could be improved.
52
53 That is all I'm trying to achieve.
54
55 | But, new blood is always welcome