From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: ARM64 stable keyword
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 04:27:14
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 22 Apr 2014 21:43:24 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Tue, 22 Apr 2014 22:13:16 +0400 Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> 22.04.2014 21:59, Mike Gilbert пишет:
7 >>
8 >> > Ok, then the stable keyword is going to get lost when I drop old
9 >> > versions.
10 >>
11 >> Vapier can restore stable keywords for newest version if needed, i
12 >> think
13 >
14 > Repeating that is a flashing experience for the minor arches users.
15 >
16 > Stabilizing on minor arches this way feels more like a regression, than
17 > that it is an improvement; the promise for a stable experience can't be
18 > fulfilled like that.
19
20 Caveat: Subject to Vapier's reply. I can't read minds and could indeed
21 be very wrong in my thinking here...
22
23 Yes, but... I think stable keywords on such archs must be used
24 differently, and by virtue of necessity, mean something else than they
25 mean on more mainstream archs.
26
27 Consider, on such archs people aren't going to be able to reliably run a
28 stable keyword system anyway, because there's simply not enough stable
29 keyworded packages to do so.
30
31 In such a situation, then, what is the value/meaning of a stable keyword
32 at all?
33
34 I'd suggest it is simply this, as adapted from the traditional mainstream
35 arch meaning for a situation where running all-stable simply isn't
36 possible:
37
38 A stable keyword on a package for an arch where ~arch must be the norm,
39 can only mean, "Yes, this one has actually been verified to work
40 reasonably well, without serious known regressions."
41
42 IOW, in a minor arch normally ~arch keyworded environment, a stable
43 keyword, while a system can't require it as a system can on a mainstream
44 arch, can still mean: "This version is more tested on this arch than
45 others, consider trying it first."
46
47 Additionally, on some packages it /might/ also be a hint: "If you have
48 problems traced to a group of packages with this one being one of them,
49 look at the other packages first, since this one has more testing than
50 the others and thus is less likely to be the problem."
51
52 With this meaning, on minor archs stable keyworded packages could still
53 come and go, without the "flashing" effect mentioned above, because
54 stable keywords alone cannot be used to build and maintain the system.
55 But stable keywords would still have meaning where they appear, and
56 package maintainers shouldn't mess with them, while (unlike mainstream
57 archs) still being free to drop last-stable versions without issue,
58 exactly /because/ the stable keyword has a someone different meaning in
59 this case.
60
61 Repeated caveat: This is what I'd take stable keywords to mean on minor
62 non-stable archs with current policies. Subject to Vapier's reply
63 confirming, modifying or saying I'm all wet.
68 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman