From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 00:16:33
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:19:46 -0500
3 > Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I'm not sure that's really a feasible solution (but then you probably
5 >> weren't suggesting it with that intention). Being able to create a
6 >> "backup" of any installed package without re-emerging is pretty
7 >> handy. Many people use it and there would be a revolt if quickpkg
8 >> were removed.
9 >
10 > Then live-filesystem-generated packages could be marked as 'not for
11 > redistribution'.
14 That's probably a good idea if only because there are certain binaries
15 that we're not allowed to redistribute...things like Firefox with
16 certain USE flags, or freetype with the better hinter. Neither of these
17 can be redistributed in binary form with certain USE flags; Firefox will
18 have to ship without its proper name, and freetype will have to use the
19 sucky -- er, "magically more free" -- hinter.
20
21 @vapier:
22
23 Do potential licensing/copyright issues like these factor into your
24 proposal in any way? wolf31o2 mentioned installing several identical
25 boxes simultaneously using the same redistributed binaries, but in the
26 case of these two packages, if they're built with -bindist on the live
27 filesystem, redistributing it as-is isn't allowed.