From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 01:32:33
1 On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 09:03:41PM -0400, Olivier Crrrte wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2010-07-04 at 18:15 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > which is trivial to fix and anyone with commit privs could have done. it
4 > > certainly doesnt warrant a paniced "the sky is falling" message.
5 >
6 > I think this is a great occasion to dump our stupid custom crap and
7 > switch to SystemD, PolicyKit, NetworkManager, etc. Anyone with half a
8 > brain already dropped our stuff. And the lack of use of modern tools is
9 > the reason I don't use Gentoo on my work computer anymore.
10
11 Requiring policykit, let alone networkmanager and dbus as a default is
12 not something I'd personally agree with as a sane choice. If you're
13 trying to build *just* a desktop distro, sure, it's sane. We're not
14 however, thus invalidating those options from where I'm sitting.
15
16 Regarding systemd, someone needs to do some pretty serious prototyping
17 of it before it's even an option- on paper it looks rather promising.
18 Paper != reality. With respect to systemd's upstream, someone has to
19 do the legwork of proving it matches its hype- specifically that it is
20 a good fit for gentoo.
21
22 I'll skip the modern tools portion of the complaint, since that's
23 just a bit ranty ;)
24
25 ~harring