From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Revision bumps vs git commits atomicity
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 15:33:23
1 On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 4:14 PM, Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o> wrote:
2 > What about the following forkflow:
3 > - version bump first with minimal changes required, but without
4 > pushing commit to the tree;
5 > - make each logical change as a separate commit without revision
6 > bumps and without pushing stuff to the tree (of course repoman
7 > scan/full is required as usual for each commit);
8 > - well test package after the last commit (that it builds with
9 > various USE flag combinations, old and new functionality works fine
10 > and so on);
11 > - fix any problems found and only afterwards push changes to the
12 > tree.
13 >
14 > This way users will see only foo-1.0 -> foo-1.1 change in the tree,
15 > while git will still retain each logical change as a separate
16 > commit, which will make future maintenance and debugging much
17 > easier.
18 >
19 > Of course a separate git branch may be used as well, but using
20 > branches for each half-a-dozen set of commits looks like an
21 > overkill to me.
22 >
23 > Thoughts, comments?
24
25 Sounds sensible to me, possibly to the point of not having to spell it
26 out? (As in, I don't see the mentioned policies as necessarily
27 conflicting.)
28
29 Cheers,
30