From: leio@×××××××××××××××××.org
To: Norbert Kamenicky <noro@××××××.sk>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Strange behavior of rc scripts
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 14:09:32
1 On Fri, 6 Jun 2003, Norbert Kamenicky wrote:
2
3 > On unixes it's quite common, that if some daemon started from
4 > init rc scripts fails, it's possible to re/start it paintless by hand
5 > again ...
6 > ( but not on Gentoo ? )
7
8 If a service is not running but the init system thinks it is, you just
9 need to zap it, just as suggested in the initscripts helpfile (I believe
10 it was /etc/init.d/<a initscript> help but I could remember wrong, not at
11 home and forced to use MS Windows atm :( )
12
13 /etc/init.d/<initscript> zap
14
15 > When I switched from RH to Gentoo, the first thing
16 > I was worry about were rc init scripts, because I can
17 > only hardly to imagine something better then system 5 ones...
18 > let's try to convince me I am wrong :-)
19
20 Gentoo initscripts are just about perfect and work is in progress to make
21 it even more perfect (if I recall correct then the initscript system is
22 being developed to hold initscript dependencies in a tree so that multiple
23 services can be started to increase boot-up time heavily)
24 If you cared to read the docs from gentoo.org you wouldn't ask about it.
25 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/rc-scripts.xml which is directly linked from
26 the docs link on gentoo homepage.
27 Also such questions do NOT go to the gentoo-dev mailing list.
28
29 Mart Raudsepp
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list