From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: antarus@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 23:30:42
1 On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 02:58:45 -0800
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Of course it is. We want to send the message that if a person's
5 > contributions are not up to par, their access to commit to the
6 > project will be revoked, until they can prove that they can
7 > contribute at a level that is not detrimental to users or other
8 > developers. A large portion of the QA team's role in Gentoo is to
9 > define what 'par' means and at some level, get the community to agree
10 > with them.
11 >
12 > Developer mentorship, for example, generally requires that a
13 > prospective developer submits changes to their mentor and the mentor
14 > reviews them. Part of that process is to determine that prospective
15 > developers can contribute at the expected level and we have quizzes
16 > to try and verify that developers understand key facets of ebuild
17 > development. Certainly if a prospective developer routinely submits
18 > faulty ebuilds and doesn't show improvement, we are unlikely to grant
19 > them commit access.
20
21 True; becoming a developer goes further than obtaining access, it also
22 involves keeping that access. And everyone knows well enough that it
23 takes more than a single breakage to permanently lose that access; to
24 determine where the limits are, one can remember the case with
25 python-exec where you see that the developer is still around.
26
27 Permanently losing it thus takes quite a big effort; in comparison, a
28 temporary suspension is something rather helpful ("Oh, were I breaking
29 the tree? Thanks for preventing me from making further damage; sorry, I
30 forgot to check IRC and/or e-mails. What can we do to fix it?"),
31 temporary suspensions do not have to be worried about.
34 With kind regards,
35
36 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
37 Gentoo Developer
38
39 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
40 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
41 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D