From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Developer branches on proj/gentoo
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:26:56
1 On 8/11/15 10:19 AM, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 08/11/2015 04:10 PM, Alexis Ballier wrote:
3 >> On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 16:01:05 +0200
4 >> Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Dnia 2015-08-11, o godz. 15:52:16
7 >>> Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o> napisał(a):
8 >>>
9 >>>> Hi there
10 >>>>
11 >>>> According to
12 >>>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Gentoo_git_workflow#Branching_Model,
13 >>>> "there may be developer-specific, task-specific, project-specific
14 >>>> branches etc". As far as I understand, it means I can go and create
15 >>>> my own branch on the main repository and push it and it gets spread
16 >>>> all over the place. Is that correct?
17 >>>>
18 >>>> Could someone explain to me the rationale behind this decision?
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Truth to be told, I kinda dislike the fact any developer can do
21 >>>> this.
22 >>> As long as it's used with caution, I don't see a problem.
23 >> Then we should define 'caution' I think :)
26 I would not say "caution" so much as good judgment. The first example
27 that came to mind was working with the profiles which crosses many
28 directories and files. In the past when I did restructuring to the
29 hardened profiles, I tested by using a branch of the hardened-dev
30 overlay. It was annoying and I would do a bind mount over
31 /usr/portage/profiles and had to rebase manually. A test branch of the
32 the main tree which could get rebased and eventually merged back would
33 make the workflow so much better. Another example was when we
34 revitalized the selinux policies. There were hundreds of commits to be
35 done. A branch here that got merged back would be ideal.
38 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
39 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
40 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
41 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
42 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA