From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Anti-spam for goose
Date: Thu, 21 May 2020 13:53:33
1 On Fri, 2020-05-22 at 01:09 +1200, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Thu, 21 May 2020 14:25:00 +0200
3 > Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > That's why I said salted hash.
6 >
7 > Even a salted hash becomes a trivial joke when the input data you're
8 > hashing has a *total* entropy of only 32bits.
11 If anyone cares about the numbers, I've been able to crack my own IP
12 address (85.*) in 10 minutes using john with trivial IP address wordlist
13 generator and plain SHA-512 hash. I suppose you could assume that
14 having salted hashes would mean up to 30 minutes per IP address but
15 that's still not much. I suppose you could use Argon2 or some other
16 crazy hash but... where is this going, really?
19 Best regards,
20 Michał Górny