From: Mike Kelly <pioto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27: Revisited (aka dynusers/creandus)
Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2006 05:26:41
1 On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 00:44:57 -0400
2 Mike Kelly <pioto@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mon, 02 Oct 2006 21:28:21 -0700
5 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
6 >
7 > > I'd prefer that the format be key=value for easier use by bash, as
8 > > pretty much everything else in profiles is bash.
9 >
10 > Only issue I can think of is that we'd have to be sure to pick key
11 > names that don't conflict with bash variables like UID and SHELL,
12 > which shouldn't really be that hard, so I'm sure there had to be some
13 > stronger reason to not make it shell variables... I'll dig through
14 > logs and try to figure out what it was.
15
16 Well, I couldn't find anything in my IRC logs, all I could find is that
17 I switched away from using the key="value" stuff at r10 in my svn repo,
18 on 5 July (it's now at r213). No one else I talked to remembered why
19 the switch was done in the first place, so I'm just going to change the
20 format back to key="value", like bash variables. Unlike most other
21 variables in profiles, though, I am keeping these with all lowercase
22 variable names, e.g. uid="5".
23
24 I'll update the documentation in my dev space tomorrow.
27 Mike Kelly