From: Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Fwd: Heads up for Qt5
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 06:28:42
1 On 28 July 2012 13:59, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 28/07/12 08:22, Ben de Groot wrote:
3 >>
4 >> In preparation for that, we want to ask maintainers of all ebuilds in
5 >> the tree with dependencies on Qt4, to make sure that they have the
6 >> proper slot. Otherwise your package may pull in Qt5 while it may not
7 >> in fact support it.
10 > This can be trouble if the application actually works with Qt5. It might
11 > depend on Qt4 but has no problems with Qt5 (contrary to Qt3 vs Qt4, Qt5 is
12 > mostly compatible with much of existing Qt4 code), needlessly pulling-in
13 > Qt4. Many applications simply build and run as-is and no code changes are
14 > necessary.
15 >
16 > So what would be the methodology of making sure a package has the proper
17 > slot?
18
19 Obviously you would need to make sure that the package actually does
20 support Qt5. Then, as I see it, we could do either:
21
22 || ( x11-libs/qt-gui:4 x11-libs/qt-gui:5 )
23
24 or:
25
26 qt4? ( x11-libs/qt-gui:4 )
27 qt5? ( x11-libs/qt-gui:5 )
28
29 Other thoughts?
30 --
31 Cheers,
32
33 Ben | yngwin
34 Gentoo developer
35 Gentoo Qt project lead, Gentoo Wiki admin