From: Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: How to deal with git sources?
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 13:35:56
Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
> On 03/12/2018 04:29 AM, Martin Vaeth wrote: >> This was so many many years ago in the beginning of github. >> This has long been fixed since then. > > Every once in a while they still change. This is from a few weeks ago: > > https://marc.info/?l=openbsd-ports&m=151973450514279&w=2
As mentioned, github uses "git archive" to generate the tarballs. So - theoretically - if a new version of git should have "git archive" implemented differently (which might happen indirectly by new versions of tar/zlib), there might indeed be change. However, this is purely theoretical: I just upgrade to most current git-2.16.2 and tar-1.30, and checked: The generated tarballs still match with that from 2014. So I really do not know which change "a few months ago" the above message refers to: I could not detect any change (and I really checked a lot of packages now). Perhaps they refer to .zip instead of .tar.gz which as mentioned is a less stable format due to the inclusion of the timezone.