From: Simon Stelling <blubb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The Age of the Universe
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 12:06:42
1 Wiktor Wandachowicz wrote:
2 >> If the users are too lazy to read the documentation, why should we care
3 >> about them?
4 >
5 > Because we risk that Gentoo may receive the "user-UN-friendly" label and
6 > become irrelevant in the long run? I know it ain't gonna happen, but still.
7
8 Well, that might be the case, but then, do we really care? I'm more than
9 glad if people who are too lazy to read the docs don't bugger me with
10 their issues which they could easily avoid if they'd have read the docs.
11
12 > You OTOH bring to the table a fact that developers shouldn't be that much
13 > concerned with the stabilization/testing of packages before new release of
14 > installation media. But new releases *ARE* targeted specifically at new users
15 > and it's them who suffer the most. Next to it is the reputation of Gentoo and
16 > its developers. Edgar's call was targeted mostly at releng and QA teams, who
17 > should poke developers to decrease number of similar problems.
18
19 I never said that, and I don't mean it either. We are concerned about
20 testing, but we can only do as much as human can do. Gentoo gives you
21 much flexibility. We can workaround the issue by masking the
22 accessibility flag for example, but that wouldn't be all that great,
23 because it only hides the problem, and it doesn't help those disabled
24 people either.
25
26 > I maintain a bunch of Debian/sparc, Debian/i386, Gentoo/amd64, Gentoo/x86,
27 > Solaris/sparc, Ubuntu/i686 boxes and mind you, out-of-box experience at
28 > install time means A LOT.
29
30 I know that. The first Gentoo CD I threw away just after booting it
31 because I couldn't figure out how to launch the setup app. "Wow, what a
32 crappy shit." I thought. Seriously, I don't want such people to use the
33 distro. It's not the right one for them.
34
35 (On a sidenote, should be quite obvious that in a second try I did
36 figure out how to install Gentoo and kind of changed my mind ;))
37
38 > More respect to the users => more respect to Gentoo.
39
40 I'm not sure how to parse that, but in case you mean that Gentoo gets
41 more popular when we make the out-of-the-box-experience better, then I
42 agree. I do not agree that this is something I want, though, because to
43 achieve that you either need a) much more resources or b) drop some of
44 the flexibility we offer. a) is hard to get and b) sucks. I'd rather
45 have other people think Gentoo is a bad distro but be happy with it
46 myself. Yes, I am a selfish pig.
49 Kind Regards,
50
51 Simon Stelling