From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: aging ebuilds with unstable keywords - how can we help?
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:58:25
1 On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 22:55 +0200, Robert Cernansky wrote:
2 > Chris Gianelloni wrote:
3 > > But, nobody likes doing the small stuff, and I can't blame them.
4 >
5 > I understand. I do not expect that these packages will have same
6 > attention by developers as major ones. I would understand if
7 > stabilisation or version bumping will be slower than normal. But at
8 > least it should be done somewhen.
9
10 Most are marked stable at some point. There are a few that are not, for
11 various reasons.
12
13 > Yes, we (users) should help. But I can't have impression that when
14 > I don't ask for stabilisation/version bump it simply never happen.
15
16 It *should* happen, no matter what. However, we've seen that this is
17 not always the case with every package, especially with packages that
18 are used by a very small subset of our users.
19
20 <snip>
21 > From the user point of view it is simply lot of work, lot of
22 > maintaining a distribution to fill a bug for every action that should
23 > be made on package.
24
25 Yes, it is. Gentoo is a community-based distribution. If the community
26 doesn't help out, nothing gets done. It's not like we get paid to do
27 this or anything.
28
29 > Again, I agree that we should help, but if our busyness does not allow
30 > it for a while, the packages should move anyway.
31
32 Yes, they should. Again, it simply doesn't always happen.
35 Chris Gianelloni
36 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
37 x86 Architecture Team
38 Games - Developer