From: Joshua Jackson <tsunam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 1 (Was: Re: Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for April)
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:22:36
2 > The arch teams have been pushing for this for a long time. They're
3 > trying to get this enforced, but are having limited success because
4 > there's no way for FEATURES=test to become widely used that won't lead
5 > to broken user systems. Moving src_test to be always on in future EAPIs
6 > is an easy way of helping arch teams achieve this goal without breaking
7 > anyone's system in the meantime.
11 Erm, no I have not at all (speaking as a project lead for x86). Test is
12 not viable for a lot of reason as being on by default. One that I can
13 come up with off the top of my head is php. The test suite for it makes
14 test inadvisable on any desktop system, I'd say the same for a server as
15 well. Not to mention that a lot of upstream test functions are in fact
16 themselves broken because they require dependencies that are not
17 required for the application itself. This is not a simple case of
18 downstream (being gentoo) doing this. There has to be quite a bit
19 changed for test to be viable and even then I don't think it really is
20 unfortunately due to test packages that can take 12+ hours on a decently
21 equipped modern system.