From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: locations of binaries and separate /usr
Date: Tue, 03 Jan 2012 18:19:14
1 On 03/01/12 12:45 PM, Duncan wrote:
2 > Ian Stakenvicius posted on Tue, 03 Jan 2012 10:53:45 -0500 as excerpted:
3 >
4 >> Has the LFH been updated?? Googling seems to say no, as the last mod
5 >> seems to have been in 2004...
6 >
7 > That was covered here in the last discussion. The FHS and LSB are
8 > getting updated too, with the people driving the update being the very
9 > same people, the fedora/redhat folks behind udev/udisks/upower/dbus/
10 > systemd/etc, with gnome as well now talking about a "gnomeos" that
11 > integrates and requires the whole set, plus X (or whatever the X
12 > successor is called, I forgot ATM) and gnome, of course, so that future
13 > gnome will assume systemd, etc, as well.
16 FHS, thank you. I didn't think I had that acronym right...
19 OK, well, if this is becoming the official standard then we will
20 definitely need to adhere to it; I guess it's just a matter of when and
21 what contingency/update plans we want to use to do it..
22
23 ... if Gentoo's installed on a system (regardless of platform, and
24 leaving out the Prefix installs), the filesystem is up to gentoo right?
25 ie, there wouldn't be a need for a particular platform to stick with
26 FHS-2.3 would there? Once we migrate to FHS-3.0, we can migrate all
27 archs and profiles at the same time?