From: "Olivier Crête" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:28:50
On Mon, 2010-08-23 at 19:09 +0100, Mike Auty wrote:
> On 23/08/10 18:26, Olivier Crête wrote: > > > > Other distributions are going one step further and are going for > > shell-free boot. We should follow that lead. > > > > Why? Presumably they're doing it by writing programs that do their own > parsing and executing, which means they'll need a maintainer just for > that program and they'll have to go through a few iterations to get the > initial bugs out, and then people will have to learn how to use the > different-yet-again language that goes with it. Why not rely on a > prebuilt parser that devs already have to know to look after ebuilds?
Systemd uses ini style files for configuration (and symlinks). So there really isn't much of a parser in there. And obviously, they're going through some bugfixing right now, so when F14/F15 are out there, we can just take their complete solution ;) -- Olivier Crête tester@g.o Gentoo Developer

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The future of sys-apps/openrc in Gentoo Patrick McLean <chutzpah@g.o>