From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: --as-needed to default LDFLAGS (Was: RFC: Should preserve-libs be enabled by default?)
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 01:39:48
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 30 May 2008 15:07:43 -0700
3 > Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o> wrote:
4 >> I see that a number of packages in the tree explicitly filter
5 >> -ffast-math.
6 >
7 > That's mostly from the bad old days when users were encouraged to use
8 > silly CFLAGS...
9
10 1. _When_ was this?
11 2. _Who_ was encouraging this?
12
13 . . . because it sure as hell hasn't ever been in the official
14 documentation.
15
16 Last year I wrote the optimization guide[1] in part to stem the flood of
17 bad advice on the unofficial gentoo-wiki, and by uninformed users on the
18 forums.
19
20 There hasn't been any official documentation telling users to do foolish
21 things with their CFLAGS or LDFLAGS.
22
23 [1] http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-optimization.xml