From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 07:11:51
On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 02:49, Duncan wrote:
> Mike Frysinger posted on Sat, 24 Sep 2011 01:10:43 -0400 as excerpted: >> it was purely to keep people from continuing to whine with circular >> logic.  if bugzilla had a way to temporarily lock comments, i would >> have used that. > > In theory, that'd be a useful feature.  In fact, probably not so much, as > it simply encourages people to complain much more visibly, very possibly > in a PR-adverse way.
i couldn't care less. if people are swayed by random rants rather than reality, then i'm not going to waste time on them.
> You could see it was circular logic, but what if he had blogged about it > and that blog had hit the FLOSS media circuit?  How many FLOSS reporters > would have seen that it was circular logic based on his blog and a locked > (comment or visibility) bug?  What about all their readers?
clearly you don't know my opinion of blogs in general.
> Additionally, that bug was referenced in a number of changelog entries. > How useful is a link to a locked bug, for those looking for more info, as > I, for instance did (as I often do with -rX bumps, since information > that's significant enough to cause a gentoo revision bump in the absence > of an upstream version bump is often significant enough for me as an > admin to want to be aware of)?
then you'd simply wait until it got unlocked. or ask a dev.
> Unfortunately, locking a bug to kill the whining is likely to have rather > more negative effects than one might have anticipated.  One would think > comment locking would be a logical enough extension to have been > implemented by now; perhaps this is why it hasn't been.  (Full visibility > locking is of course different, security bugs and all.)
i don't see any negative effects so far. -mike

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: zlib breakage Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>