From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal to undeprecate EGO_SUM
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2022 09:37:38
1 On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 10:29 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2022-06-13 at 09:44 +0200, Florian Schmaus wrote:
4 > > where some voices where in agreement that EGO_SUM has its raison d'être,
5 > > while there where no arguments in favor of eventually removing EGO_SUM,
6 > > I hereby propose to undeprecate EGO_SUM.
7 > >
8 > > 1: https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/1a64a8e7694c3ee11cd48a58a95f2faa
11 > "We've been rehashing the discussion until all opposition got tired
12 > and stopped replying, then we claim everyone agrees".
13
14 First of all, I am sorry for my tone.
15
16 I have been thinking about it and I was wrong to oppose this change.
17 I have been conflating two problem: EGO_SUM and Manifest sizes.
18 However, while EGO_SUM might be an important factor contributing to
19 the latter, I think we shouldn't single it out and instead focus
20 on addressing the actual problem.
21
22 That said, I believe it's within maintainer's right to decide what API
23 to deprecate and what API to support. So I'd suggest getting William's
24 approval for this rather than changing the supported API of that eclass
25 via drive-by commits.
28 Best regards,
29 Michał Górny