From: Yanestra <wysiwyg@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 12:17:43
1 Hi,
2
3 I am long time user of Gentoo and I tinker with the idea of becoming
4 Gentoo developer.
5
6 I am a software developer by profession, but I am not quite sure if I
7 should involve with Gentoo ebuild development.
8
9 To be honest, I have not the slightest imagination what becoming a
10 Gentoo developer might mean. Things seem to be abhorringly complicated.
11
12 As far as I understand, there are developers, proxy developers, then
13 there is something like Project Sunrise which I don't understand.
14
15 There are apparently several different portage source repositories,
16 basing on different software, and furthermore, there is layman. As far
17 as I remember, portage is stored in cvs, where there is also git, and
18 somewhere subversion seems to linger.
19
20 And there is lots of documentation that appears to be outdated or
21 strangely unattached to questions concerning organisation and overall
22 structure.
23
24 Can someone please tell me where to start becoming a developer? Do there
25 exist something like quality guidelines for ebuilds?
26
27 Why is there such a chaos?
28
29 Thanks!