From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Gentoo Identity Provider
Date: Tue, 19 May 2020 06:47:14
1 On Mon, 2020-05-18 at 18:42 -0700, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > TL;DR: What if we launched id.gentoo.org, an identity provider that
3 > provides authentication for Gentoo properties? Basically, 1 username /
4 > password for wiki, bugs, email, forums, and any other http service[0][1].
5 >
6 > Today Gentoo has numerous systems that mostly work in a segmented way.
7 >
8 > - To connect to hosts, we use ssh keys.
9 > - Git is authenticated via ssh keys.
10 > - Email uses LDAP passwords.
11 > - Bugzilla has its own identities, with their own passwords.
12 > - Wiki is separate, with its own passwords.
13 > - Forums are separate.
14 > - Infra has an additional 4 systems that use separate credentials.
15 >
16 > Some applications support 2FA (such as wiki.)
17 > Some applications do not support 2FA.
18 > Applications that require 2FA have a configuration for each app, so you
19 > have N configurations.
20 >
21 > If we configured id.gentoo.org you would have 1 identity across all gentoo
22 > properties.
23 >
24 > Is this a thing people are interested in?
27 What a coincidence I've just archived our old identity.gentoo.org [1]
28 project. And yes, we almost had this back in 2013 but Infra failed to
29 deploy, and it was claimed obsolete by the time I joined Infra.
30
31 Do you have any specific solution in mind?
32
33 [1] https://gitweb.gentoo.org/archive/proj/identity.gentoo.org.git/
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny