From: John Mylchreest <johnm@g.o>
To: "Patrick Börjesson" <psycho@××××××××.cx>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Package-specific USE-flags?
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:18:19
1 On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 21:18, Patrick Börjesson wrote:
2 > Is there some way to set package-specific USE-flags in some config-file
3 > somewhere so I don't have to give it manually on the command-line each
4 > and every time I want to reemerge or upgrade the package?
5 > If not, then that functionality would make my life (and probably many
6 > others too) alot easier. I just did an "update world" and after it
7 > finished I realised that I had to reemerge a couple of packages since my
8 > global USE-flags didn't comply with those I wanted for those specific
9 > packages. For example: I don't want QT-support built-in for most of the
10 > software on my machine so I have "-qt" in my USE-flag in make.conf, but
11 > since I want the qt-gui for licq I have to reemerge licq with USE="qt"
12 > after every single time licq is a part of an "update world". And just
13 > recently I had to lower the aggressiveness on my CFLAGS to be able to
14 > emerge mozilla-firebird. I don't want those slack CFLAGS for most of the
15 > packages in my system so I have to give the CFLAGS manually when
16 > emerging that package.
17 > A suggestion on how to realise it would be package-specific USE-flags in
18 > make.conf or some other config-file under /etc. For example: If I
19 > would want qt-support in licq then I'd add LICQ_USE="qt" in make.conf or
20 > whatever where LICQ_USE is the package-name in uppercase followed by
21 > _USE. Since there are support for converting strings to uppercase in
22 > python I don't see a problem in implementing this feature.
23 > Has there been no request for this feature earlier? Or is there another
24 > obstacle in the way of implementing it?
25 >
26 > Eagerly awaiting your response,
27 > Patrick Börjesson
28 >
29 > P.S. Sorry for the long post. D.S.
30
31 this has been done by a friend of mine.
32 if you try searching the bug database for "package specific use flags"
33 perhaps, or his email (contains alkern) this might find something.
34 he wrote a portage patch.
35
36 Unfortunately i havent got a working browser right now, but it shouldnt
37 be hard to find. please post back if you couldnt find it.