From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: williamh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New USE_EXPAND flag for www-servers/monkeyd
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2013 17:59:56
1 Dnia 2013-06-01, o godz. 12:41:06
2 William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 01:23:59PM +0200, Ralph Sennhauser wrote:
5 > > William, each time this comes up you overred the _reasonably_.
6 > > Controlling dependencies is always reasonable but beyond that it's case
7 > > by case. Just because you can is never a valid reason. Often there are
8 > > options you clearly only want to toggle if you are a developer or
9 > > options meant for porting to alternative operating systems which lack
10 > > some bells and whistles and the like. Another example is configuring a
11 > > library for bundling with an app. The world is bigger than linux
12 > > distros.
13 >
14 > Ralph, I never said anything about disagreeing with these cases. I'm
15 > talking about purely optional features of packages which do not
16 > have any bearing on runtime dependencies or cause breakage.
17 >
18 > If a configure script offers switches for purely optional features, we
19 > should, imo, 1) give the users use flags to control these features or
20 > 2)hard code the settings we want in our ebuilds.
21 >
22 > What do you think?
23
24 That depends on a package and on the case.
25
26 If a switch only changes the default in a config file, a flag is
27 useless.
28
29 If a switch toggles a feature that does not introduce additional
30 dependencies, is small and can be toggled from within the app, a flag
31 is useless.
32
33 If a switch toggles a install of a tiny file which most people either
34 want or don't care about, a flag is useless.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny