From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Patches and the 2.4->2.6 move
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:18:27
1 On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 23:05, Luke-Jr wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > On Monday 20 October 2003 02:34 am, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
6 > > I have a patch that fixes SSE problems on 2.4 kernels. However, on 2.6
7 > > kernels it breaks OpenGL (applications segfault).
8 > Shouldn't this be fixed in the kernel, then? What exactly does it actually
9 > fix?
10 > >
11 > > Currently I'm applying this patch if /usr/src/linux is linked to a 2.4
12 > > kernel at compile-time.
13 > >
14 > > This means that if a user emerges xfree when linked to a 2.4 kernel,
15 > > that user will need to remerge xfree after moving to 2.6 kernels. This
16 > > takes about 40 minutes on a ‾2GHz x86. However, if this patch is not
17 > x86 is not specific enough to give 2GHz any meaning. A 2GHz AthlonXP is alot
18 > faster than an (early) 2GHz Pentium 4.
19 > > applied, the bug will continue to exist for all Gentoo users on 2.4
20 > > kernels.
21 > >
22 > > My request to you is:
23 > > 1) Is this acceptable?
24 > 40 minutes on any kind of 2GHz system would probably mean at least 2 hours for
25 > me... I'd recommend at least having a local USE flag or variable to enable/
26 > disable it (default depending on how major the fix is)
27
28 A USE flag to disable fixing a bug?
29 'USE="keep-sse-bugs" emerge xfree' seems a little odd to me.
30
31 > > 2) If not, what is a better solution? Dropping the patch entirely? Note
32 > > that I don't know Mesa/programming well enough to write a patch
33 > > compatible for both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
34 > If a version compatible with both kernels could exist, perhaps asking in some
35 > related IRC channels could find someone interested in writing such?
36
37 I already tried. Response consisted of things similar to "Wait until 2.6
38 is official, then we will provide a fix for it. Right now we have more
39 important, relevant things to concentrate on."
40
41 Thanks,
42 Donnie