From: Christian Parpart <cparpart@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: removing dhcpcd from system???
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:43:48
1 On Tuesday 28 September 2004 9:19 pm, Mike Frysinger wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 28 September 2004 03:23 pm, Mark Dierolf wrote:
3 > > What about python?? I hate python!
4 >
5 > rewrite portage
6
7 I'm really thinking of doing a rewrite (first only for research) that also
8 takes the GLEP into account, that is, using client/server architecture, so,
9 that emerge would just be yet another front-end (the standard one of course).
10 As I dislike python (sorry), too, I'd of course use a programming language
11 that generates native code and supports high level programming features like
12 C++ :)
13
14 > > nano?? I fucking hate nano, it frustrates the hell out of me!
15 >
16 > system depends on virtual/editor; the default editor is nano because that
17 > is by far the easiest to use for new users
18 > in other words, we force *some* editor on you but you are certainly free to
19 > choose a different one
20
21 I hate nano that much, that there's only one thing left I hate more than
22 nano, however, the first thing I do on installing a system is a slick vim
23 to edit the configs. but I must agree, nano may be the easiest for AT
24 LEAST windows users that wanna try out linux *and* do not know
25 about typical unix/linux editors.
26
27 > > modutils?? I haven't used modules since 1998!
28 >
29 > actually, it's module-init-tools, but i find this much less of an exception
30 > than dhcp
31
32 modutils/module-init-tools SHALL remain in system since it is fairly
33 COMMON on to many systems. I see no reason to talk about removing it.
34
35 > > hdparm?? I don't even HAVE a hard disk on my PXEBOOT!
36 >
37 > pxeboot -> netboot/embedded ... we have custom profiles to suite these
38 > systems since the default is not useful
39 >
40 > > slocate?? I've never used the locate database, my telepathy tells me
41 > > where files are!
42 >
43 > also been removed, but this change happened more recently
44
45 yeah, obviousely all but mine, however, I really really hate slocate even
46 more than nano. slocate was right the second thing in
47 my /etc/portage/package.mask
48
49 FINALLY, I don't see any reason for keeping any dhcp client in system.
50 Those users who needs it, may of course emerge it. Those who like
51 iproute2 have to emerge it themself, too, so, out with it!
52
53 Regards,
54 Christian Parpart.
57 Netiquette: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
58 21:34:33 up 35 days, 9:14, 0 users, load average: 1.13, 1.44, 1.19
61 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list