From: Ionen Wolkens <ionen@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] making rust-bin ordered first in virtual/rust
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 02:59:05
1 On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 03:24:23PM -0800, Georgy Yakovlev wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been approached multiple times with that request, and a lot of
5 > time I see new users completely destroyed by rust build time and disk
6 > space requirements.
7
8 fwiw it may be a bit mitigated by the new desktop stages that come with
9 rust, or at least it won't be the first thing they see when they try
10 to build their brand new desktop install until a rust update.
11
12 It's nice if users can get a basic desktop before worrying about how to
13 handle rust. Not that desktop stages are heavily visible/known so new
14 users may not always pick them.
17 > WDYT about switching order of rusts in a virtual?
18 >
19 > RDEPEND="|| (
20 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
21 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
22 > )"
25 > becomes
26 >
27 > RDEPEND="|| (
28 > ~dev-lang/rust-bin-${PV}
29 > ~dev-lang/rust-${PV}
30 > )"
33 > Existing installs should be unaffected ofc.
34 > But portage may prefer to depclean rust and not rust-bin if both are
35 > present.
36
37 Haven't tested how it reacts, but wouldn't that be an issue with
38 system-bootstrap in situations where it pulls rust-bin to build itself?
39
40 > Users who wish to use source version at all times can just add it to
41 > world file.
42 >
43 > I see both positives and negatives of doing that, but would like to
44 > reach out to community first.
45
46 Unsure what I like best, I generally agree should default to sources
47 but I do see new users complaining about building rust every few days.
48 Not that the step of telling them that rust-bin exists is that bad
49 (part of the issue is that they don't know it's an option).
52 ionen