From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Parallizing ebuilds - 'trivial' ebuilds
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:09:03
1 On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 19:53 +0900, Kalin KOZHUHAROV wrote:
2 > > Make this distributed tool for tar zip bzip2 and gzip and I'm in, I
3 > > don't think it would be useful with anything else than Gigabit Ethernet.
4 One 2Ghz CPU can't even saturate a 100Mbit line with bzip2 as far as I
5 can tell.
6 Although the speedups won't be extreme it could just work.
7
8 > > We might want to have in the make.conf 2 separate variables, one of them
9 > > saying how many threads can be run on the machine, then How many
10 > > threads/process across a cluster.
11 > >
12 > > For example, my Dual Xeon EM64T file server can do make -j4 locally,
13 > > like in make install, make docs etc etc, But for compiling I can use
14 > > -j20, really not useful over -j8 anyway. But the point is, it would be
15 > > usefully to separate the load distribution on the local machine and
16 > > cluster nodes.
17 >
18 > As the discusison started...
19 >
20 > I would like to be able to limit the -jN when there is no distcc host
21 > available or when compiling c++ code, otherwise my poor laptop is dead with
22 > -j5 compiling pwlib when the network is down....
23 As far as I can tell distcc isn't smart enough for dynamic load balancing.
24 One could hack portage to "test" each server in the distcc host list and
25 remove missing servers for each run - doesn't look elegant to me.
26
27 > It is particular example, but being able to limit portage in some way as
28 > total CPU, total MEM might be interesting (just nice-ing is not enough)
29 Very difficult - usually gcc uses ~25M per process (small source files), but
30 I've seen >100M (most larger C++ files) and heard of ~600M per process for MySQL
31
32 Limiting that is beyond the scope of portage.
33
34 wkr,
35 Patrick
36 --
37 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move