From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] rfc: noarch keyword
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 14:54:49
1 All,
2
3 this came up again on the recent thread about dropping non x86/amd64
4 support for python packages, and I want to bring it up again on its own
5 thread.
6
7 How often do architecture specific bugs really exist in languages like
8 perl, python etc? From what I've seen they are pretty rare. Not to mention,
9 if we found one somewhere, we could adjust keywords as necessary.
10
11 Also, if someone did inadvertently keyword a package with noarch that didn't
12 work everywhere, it would be a matter of adjusting the keywords for that
13 package.
14
15 So, my question is, why can't we add a noarch/~noarch keyword and see
16 how things go? If it gets abused we can always nuke it later.
17
18 Thanks,
19
20 William