From: Chris Bainbridge <chrb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] non-Gentoo stuff in our CVS
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 17:21:05
1 On Friday 08 October 2004 15:04, Jon Portnoy wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 12:47:09PM +0100, Chris Bainbridge wrote:
3 > >
4 > > This always seemed like an odd policy to me. Linus doesn't require
5 > > contributions to the kernel to have copyright assigned to him, and I
6 > > don't see why we need to. In fact, it works against our ability to
7 > > enforce copyrights. Suppose that some UK company starts breaking the
8 > > copyright of gentoo in some way, despite the fact that I have written
9 > > ebuilds etc. I now have no way of taking legal action against them, as I
10 > > no longer have any legal control over my contributions.
11 >
12 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/copyright explains all of this.
13 >
14 > Assigning copyright to Gentoo is quite necessary and will not be
15 > changed. This has all been discussed to death back when it was
16 > implemented.
17
18 Except the reasoning is based on the flawed premise:
19
20 "This is a benefit because all owners of the code in question must be a party
21 in any legal action."
22
23 This isn't true. The netfilter team have been active in suing GPL violators of
24 the linux kernel in Europe, which wouldn't have been possible under the
25 current gentoo policy.
28 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list