From: "Rémi Cardona" <remi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] more up to date minimal install cd
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:07:39
1 Daniel Robbins wrote:
2 > Yes, that was my request and I was told that this was the plan of
3 > attack, but the end result looked nothing like this.
4 >
5 > Just to be clear, I think the *official* documentation should be
6 > simple, with a linear path and non-intrusive links for non-standard
7 > stuff, and should fit on a single (Web) page.
8 >
9 > I don't think that a quick install guide solves the problem. (I know
10 > *you're* not saying it does, just pointing it out...) The official
11 > documentation should be incredibly efficient to use, eliminating the
12 > need for a quick install guide.
13
14 I wholy agree on this point, yet I see a tiny problem. If you scrap all
15 the different paths in the handbook by keeping only one "standard" path,
16 I'd say about 50% of the whole thing is arch dependant :
17 - partitioning (i've never used anything other than x86/amd64)
18 - kernel setup
19 - bootloader
20
21 Common stuff:
22 - stage setup
23 - rsync, emerge system/world
24 - network setup
25 - additional utilities (such as cron, syslog)
26
27 Although I really would like to see a shorter guide, I think there are a
28 few issues (like these, but maybe others?) to layout first.
29
30 Ideas, comments ?
31
32 Rémi
33
34 PS, my 50% figure may not be very accurate :) don't feel offended if i'm
35 way off
36 --
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list