From: Koon <koon@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Redux: 2004.1 will not include a secure portage.
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:08:07
1 >>> Goals:
2 >>> ------
3 >>> - protect against compromised developer box / rogue developer
4 >>> - protect against compromised rsync server
5 >>
6 >> Exactly how secure are we aiming at? The schemes presented here does
7 >> nothing to secure gentoo boxes from malicious source code.
8 >
9 > That is completely not the intent of this system. This system is
10 > intended to stop tampering with the portage tree. The portage tree is
11 > dangerous in it's nature of being executable shell.
12
13 Before discussing implementation, you should decide on the goals.
14
15 I agree with Paul and Robin in that the goals should stay in reality. We
16 have a big problem today : Gentoo global security depends on factors
17 outside Gentoo's control : the security of each server in the rsync
18 mirror servers network. It's a flaw that needs to be acted on very quickly.
19
20 We are not trying to discuss ways of having the most secure Linux
21 distribution out there, review all sources, treat the rogue developer
22 problem ; we are trying to have a secure distribution mecanism which
23 does not depend on outside factors. For the moment we don't have that.
24 Once this is done, it will always be time to discuss better mecanisms to
25 ensure better security. You will probably find in the end that the
26 increased-security/work-overhead tradeoff to solve the rogue dev case is
27 not acceptable.
28
29 So for for me the only objective is :
30
31 * protect against compromised rsync server
34 Just my 2c
35
36 -K
39 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list