From: yannick.koehler@××××××××.com
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] install
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 14:05:12
1 Network Administrator wrote:
2 >
3 > 1/23/02
4 >
5 > I am a windows NT admin who has been very excited about linux for about 9 months. I've been getting as much experience with it as I can. Yesterday I started your install routine after reading about your distribution in a article. It sounded very apealing. One thing I haven't liked is all the junk that comes with most distributions even when installed in expert mode. So eventhough I am pretty new at linux I thought I would give it a try. Your installation instructions were great. I had no trouble intill I got to "Final network configuration". I have no idea how to properly edit the /etc/init.d/net.eth0 script. I skipped that step, finished up then rebooted. I get a banner pop-up that says I need DEVFS support. I went back into "make menuconfig" and I do not see anything about DEVFS. So, I need a proper network config script and a DevFS tip.
6 >
7 > Patrick Kelley
8 > Network Administrator
9 > mis@×××××××××××.com
12 > gentoo-dev mailing list
13 > gentoo-dev@g.o
16 I'm also new with gentoo and got the similar issue. DEVFS is actually
17 /dev, so inside your kernel option find the FileSystem menu and go
18 inside. Then look for /dev filesystem and check it in. This is what
19 they mean by DEVFS.
20
21 Or... to my understanding, I've not tried it but... they claim that you
22 can put an option inside grub to make the thing work without devfs.
23 Something like
24
25 gentoo=nodevfs
26
27 Again that one I've not tried but I solved with the first solution.
28
29 Yannick Koehler