From: Viktor Lakics <lakicsv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org
Subject: Re: [Re: [gentoo-dev] Getting rid of "Console log for $HOSTNAME" at X startup]
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 14:03:26
1 HI MIkael,
2
3 I installed xfce, set initdefault to 3, and started X with startxfce (just to
4 avoid even running kdm). Even in this KDE-free environment, I had this weird
5 Console log window showing up...Then I started looking at config files, and
6 found it finally: /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0, which looks like this:
7
8 #!/bin/sh
9 # $Xorg: Xsetup_0,v 1.3 2000/08/17 19:54:17 cpqbld Exp $
10 xconsole -geometry 480x130-0-0 -daemon -notify -verbose -fn fixed -exitOnFail
11 QT_XFT=1
12
13 I commented out the xconsole line and voila, the console log disappeared...
14
15 What is this Xsetup_0 for? Is it allright to comment that line out? I had the
16 strange impression that before I run KDM, there might be something else
17 running with its own settings (I have the KDM login window on a grey
18 backround (similar to that which shows up when you try to set up X, but
19 things do not pan out) and even though I have the background set up with a
20 wallpaper in KDE login manager, it does not show up...
21
22 Viktor