From: joshua jackson <tsunam@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Google SOC 2008
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 23:28:16
1 Rémi Cardona wrote:
2 > joshua jackson a écrit :
3 >> 2) We need mentors, so far confirmed I have: Diego and Saleem
4 >
5 > What kind of work is involved there? I wouldn't mind being a mentor
6 > but I'd like to know a bit more about what's expected from a "good"
7 > mentor.
8 >
9 > Thanks,
10 >
11 > Rémi
12 There's a few requirements. Being decent in a language or multiple
13 languages would certainly be a plus, as the students are writing code.
14 having someone writing something in C or C++ when you've never touched
15 it wouldn't exactly work out that well obviously.
16
17 Having time to interact with the student as well. They are getting paid
18 as are we as an organization, so helping them and giving them idea's is
19 needed. Touching base and making sure they are still progressing on
20 their projects. Its summer...but they are being paid to work so it is a
21 job as I hope as a mentor you would take a similar approach as well.
22
23 Basically you act as a technical boss/mentor/leader to someone.
24
25 One area I'm working on for this year is goals within the overall goal
26 that can be implemented hopefully even if the project isn't fully
27 finished before the end of the project.
28
29 For the mentor it won't be a full time commitment but having time to
30 talk with/help someone with their project and explain how to implement
31 this feature or get this information from Gentoo's system would take
32 some time.
33
34 As a warning some people come on board with excellent programming
35 ability that you don't need to do much with/for. Some well its their
36 first real jump into programming and need more attention. I plan on
37 having a few additional questions for the Gentoo related applications to
38 help define that kind of thing and hope to get people together in such a
39 way.
40
41 As well a few of the people who are helping run it have agreed to help
42 poke/get updates from the mentors and step in and help in whatever way
43 possible to the students as well. Basically, we want as many projects to
44 succeed as possible and become a daily tool or vastly improved tools as
45 possible. Its certainly something that is possible.
48 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list