From: Gerion Entrup <gerion.entrup@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [gentoostats continued] Collected data and justification for it
Date: Sat, 09 May 2020 13:23:04
1 Am Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2020, 09:29:36 CEST schrieb Michał Górny:
2 > I'm going to start with the data and uses I can think of. Please reply
3 > with other things you can think of.
6 > 1) list of selected packages (@world)
7 >
8 > We would use this to determine the popularity of individual packages,
9 > plus by scanning their dependencies we would be able to make combined
10 > statistics for direct usage + dependencies of other selected packages.
11 > This would allow us to judge which packages need more of our attention.
12 >
13 > For example, as we port Python packages to Python 3.8 the packages with
14 > more declared users would be ported first.
15
16 You may want to collect packages installed per sets, too.
17 I mainly do what Hans mentioned in his mail to this thread but with sets.
18 For example I have a KDE-PIM set that installs only my needed subset of
19 the KDE PIM suite. (I also use this as common workaround for yet missing
20 runtime dependencies / suggestions made by pkg_postinst.)
21
22 Retrieval of this packages would be straight forward: Look at world_sets
23 and collect all packages that are installed by the set.
26 > 2) USE flags on installed packages (disabled/default/enabled)
27 >
28 > This would allow us to determine which flags users are most likely to
29 > actually rely on. This could determine tested flag combinations,
30 > defaults, and required level of support for individual flags.
31 >
32 > For example, if OCaml bindings on some package are broken and require
33 > a lot of work, I would find useful to know how likely it is that anyone
34 > is using it. Or if a lot of people are enabling 'frobnicate' flag,
35 > I could consider employing USE defaults.
36
37 I'm not sure, if Portage is capable of this, but a distinction in USE
38 flags needed to fulfil some dependency of another package and USE flags
39 actively activated by the user could be useful.
40
41 Dependency use flags should be treated with a higher priority in my
42 opinion, since they enable the installation of another package (tree),
43 while use flags that enable a certain feature that is not used elsewhere
44 are more "nice to have".
47 Best
48 Gerion