From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packages up for grabs: app-editors/xemacs and app-xemacs/*
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 06:22:34
1 If you are looking to pick up ~130 packages in one quick move, then wait
2 no longer and add yourself to the xemacs herd! You'll get
3 app-editors/xemacs and all the packages in app-xemacs/*
4
5 You will inherit a few open bugs, but nothing high priority. XEmacs
6 editor and package release happen quite infrequently and we are fully
7 up-to-date right now.
8
9 After 21 years I figured it was time for some change, so I've now
10 started to use GNU Emacs, and thus I no longer have an interest in
11 maintaining XEmacs. My main reason for switching is that extensions are
12 all written for GNU Emacs these days and with XEmacs pretty much
13 stagnant its compatibility layer is no longer up to dealing with these.
14
15 If you are using xemacs and want to maintain these, please let me know.
16 I have some scripts to automate updates that aren't available elsewhere.
17 I won't drop the packages to maintainer-needed and I'll monitor the
18 xemacs alias for now to tell people this is no longer maintained.
19
20 Kind regards,
21
22 Hans