From: lnxg33k <lnxg33k@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Improving Gentoo User Relations
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 19:10:05
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 <snip>
3 > * If we're looking to increase the flow of end users -> super users ->
4 > developers, perhaps we should focus more upon improving development
5 > tools or development documentation.
6
7 I'm a little late jumping into this and I haven't read all the threads yet,
8 however I agree with Ciaran here. From a user who wishes to progress, this
9 particular point is something I can relate to. Consolidating docs into a single
10 place, getting rid of stale stuff, and updating the old would do a lot to bring
11 users up-to-speed. By providing docs, users who wish to take the initiative can
12 do so. Once they learn the lingo and system, they can better offer their
13 services and it would decrease frustration on the devs part concerning ignorant
14 (not demeaning, but fact) users.
15
16 Improving development tools helps, but also making them available where
17 applicable. I'm thinking more along the lines of scripts located on dev spaces
18 as applications like catalyst are already available. Stuff that normally is
19 considered "developer only" should be opened up so that users can get a better
20 sense of what is actually going on; this would lessen the degree of naiveness.
21 --
22 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list