From: Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: location of portage tree
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 19:35:48
1 On 27/03/12 21:17, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > On 27/03/12 03:05 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
3 >> All,
4 >
5 >> I know this has come up before, but I don't really recall what the
6 >> specific objections were.
7 >
8 >> IMO the portage directory doesn't belong under /usr at all. I was
9 >> chatting with another developer who uses
10 >> /var/cache/portage/{tree,distfiles}, and I'm thinking about
11 >> switching my default setup to do this.
12 >
13 >> I realize that historically the portage tree has been installed
14 >> under /usr, but Can we consider changing this default for new
15 >> installations and providing instructions for users for how to get
16 >> the portage tree out of /usr? William
19 > IIRC, 'cache' can be a volatile storage area, that is, anything in it
20 > can be removed. One's system is b0rked (or at least, portage is) if
21 > /path/to/portage/profiles goes missing. I wholeheartedly agree that
22 > distfiles should be moved to /var , but I think the portage tree
23 > shouldn't be there..
24 >
25 > (at least, shouldn't be in /var/cache/ ; maybe /var/lib/ ? of course
26 > then we're colliding with the existing use of /var/lib/portage ...)
27
28 Portage tree is a kind of database (I know, I know -- long shot), so maybe
29 /var/db/portage for the tree and /var/cache/portage/distfiles (or drop portage
30 from that path) for distfiles?
33 Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xF6A80E46
34 desktop-misc, java, vim, kernel, python, apache...