From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: Deprecating and killing the concept of herds
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 16:55:26
1 On Sun, 28 Sep 2014 00:21:43 +0200
2 Micha³ Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > I don't know if you know it but setting up the project wiki page takes
5 > less time than reaching into depths of CVS and editing herds.xml.
6
7 Editing and committing a change to herds.xml takes me less characters
8 than this quoted paragraph, done in under a minute; in comparison, a
9 project wiki page involves a browser, waiting time and more characters.
10
11 > Otherwise, we'll never going to get out of the dumb distinction what
12 > project and herd is and isn't, and when one or the other, or both
13 > should be used.
14
15 The documentation and GLEP(s) are pretty clear about that; as for how
16 to use it, that are semantics that are up for the projects and herds.
17
18 This has worked fine for ages, point me to old threads discussing this
19 if you claim that to not be the case. Recent assumptions make it look
20 like it is a problem, but a history of experience tell us otherwise...