From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: TeX maintainer needed
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 14:41:45
1 "Andrey Falko" <ma3oxuct@×××××.com>:
2
3 > On 3/12/07, Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o> wrote:
4 > > as nattfodd and ehmsen won't be working on TeX for Gentoo anymore,
5 > > we need one or more new maintainer/s. Primary goal is to bring a
6 > > working ebuild of TeXLive 2007 into Portage, as the current used
7 > > and working one (teTeX) is dead upstream. There is an effort of a
8 > > user [1] which could be a base. Non-devs welcome as long as they
9 > > do all the work. First start can be that I proxy (= You do all the
10 > > work, I get the glamour for committing :) a willing and capable
11 > > user, recruiting him can come later on.
12 > > Just email me, Gentoo Army needs you.
13 > I don't know if anyone replied in private, but I am willing to step
14 > up to the challenge of maintaining this as a non-dev. I am willing
15 > to do so as long as no one more qualified steps up.
16
17 No one reacted to my mail, but I shouldn't have posted it as nattfodd
18 was already coordinating interested persons. I did not know that, just
19 there was no sign of life from text-markup on that topic, I should have
20 asked there before.
21
22 > My will to take on the challenge is motivated as a learning
23 > experience in addition to my belief that this is a vital package that
24 > needs to be maintained.
25
26 Fine. Contact nattfodd then.
27
28 > If by formats you mean style files, I guess that I currently know
29 > how to handle them on a minimal level.
30
31 No. Format is a level deeper, containing some stuff for the engines
32 (pdfTeX, eTeX), as hyphenation patterns etc.
33
34 > This might be a dumb question, but has Fabian (from bug 168177) been
35 > asked to maintain this?
36
37 Maybe.
38