From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: Replacement for versionator.eclass in PMS (for EAPI 7?)
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2015 12:18:31
1 On Wed, 2 Dec 2015 13:04:19 +0100
2 Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > >>>>> On Wed, 2 Dec 2015, Alexis Ballier wrote:
5 >
6 > > What's the point, need or advantage in moving this to
7 > > all-ebuild-scope?
8 >
9 > > Usually eclass refactor/api cleanup are done in a -r{n+1} while
10 > > deprecating -rn. This would have the advantage that you can quickly
11 > > post a complete implementation and get wider reviews.
12 >
13 > A proof-of-concept implementation for the two version manipulation
14 > functions is here:
15 > https://482170.bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=418072
16 > Add some comments and you'll have a working eclass. :)
17
18 Yes, but I don't see the point of defining bash code in PMS and
19 copy/pasting it in every compliant PM, when said code used to be in
20 only one place. Sounds like a "regression" to me.
23 [...]
24 > Also version_test is missing, but the idea there was to avoid
25 > redundancy and use the implementation that already exists in the
26 > package manager (which does version comparison all the time). This is
27 > one of the reasons for moving it to the package manager.
30 well, then maybe version_test is the only one that makes sense to be
31 added to PM. Though it is unclear to me how to interface it: spawning a
32 python interp. every time the function is called doesn't seem to be a
33 terrible idea wrt performance.