From: Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: rfc: stabilization policies
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 07:05:27
1 On 21/08/2013 05:24, Tom Wijsman wrote:
2 > On Tue, 20 Aug 2013 13:19:10 -0500
3 > William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> All,
6 >>
7 >> I'm not really sure what the answer to this problem is, so I want to
8 >> know what the group thinks about how we can handle it.
9 >>
10 >> During the last release of OpenRC, I learned that people *do* run
11 >> production servers on ~arch.
12 >
13 > While I don't, and asked it just because of the large amount; it
14 > appears from some things lately, and not just OpenRC, that there is a
15 > certain group that regards ~arch as some kind of new stable.
16 >
17 > This isn't solely about versions entering ~arch, but also about
18 > versions leaving ~arch; as ~ is for testing, people should expect their
19 > version to break and they should also expect that they cannot rely on a
20 > version remaining in the Portage tree, that's just wrong...
21 We would probably benefit from formalising a clearer definition of
22 arch/~arch - it seems to mean a lot of different things to different people.